Monday, October 19, 2020

It is 19 October. There are 12 days until Halloween.

I’m a sucker for movie soundtracks. Ever since seeing Star Wars when I was six-years old and experiencing the power that the right music can wield over the viewer’s psyche, I’ve really loved listening to movie scores. My mom bought the soundtrack album for Star Wars, and I loved sitting in the basement with the headphones on, lifting and dropping the needle to hear my favorite part again and again. That album was a double record set that came in a gatefold sleeve. When you opened the gatefold there were scenes from the film inside, and on the back of the sleeve was a picture of Darth Vader superimposed over the stars. It was magical.




For me musical soundtracks are as memorable and listenable as any rock, rap, or pop music. I can listen to John Carpenter and Alan Howarth’s work in The Fog and Halloween III: Season of the Witch anytime and anywhere. Best of all, there are tons of other people who feel the same, so more and more movies soundtracks from the 1970s and 1980s are being released.

In fact, the retro sounds of those movie soundtracks have become so popular that artists are skipping the movie and going straight to the music. There seems to be a cottage industry of sorts at the moment for fake movie and television show soundtracks. Artists create elaborate stories about lost films and eccentric directors. The music ranges from synth heavy barrages to folky, jazzy drones.

Bandcamp is a wonderful resource for these faux-soundtrax. Here is a smattering of what they have on offer. You can listen for free, but do yourself and these artists a favor and pick up an album or two for Halloween. The more, the scarier!


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Let me know!