Tuesday, October 12, 2021

12 October: Big Trouble in Little China

 

“When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that…”

Today is all about “Martial Arts” on the Cinematic Void’s 31 Days of Voidoween, and I am very excited to see what other people taking part in this challenge choose, because I was hard-pressed to think of a horror movie that comes with a kung fu chaser. So, I went with my gut and picked the first movie that popped into my head: John Carpenter’s 1986 fantasy-fu classic Big Trouble in Little China.

Yeah...I know, I know...I can hear the grumblings already: Big Trouble in Little China isn’t a horror film! I have the same misgivings, but here’s my rationale: Big Trouble was directed by John Carpenter (big time horror director, no?), it stars Kurt Russell (who starred in Carpenter’s The Thing), and it’s got great special effects. Bonus reason: I feel like Big Trouble in Little China is the Call of Cthulhu RPG adventure my players would create if I ever set a scenario in San Francisco.

Horror films have monsters, don’t they? Well, Big Trouble has got monsters galore! Hairy beasts that kidnap pretty ladies…

...big bugs that live underground that we are promised will come out no more…

...and chubby blobs made of eyeballs that float in the air...

Big Trouble has got it goin’ on monster-wise. And who can forget this guy...

...and this guy…

What can I say? It’s a slow news day ‘round these parts. I think I’ll just kick back and enjoy the schtick-fu of Big Trouble in Little China. Think of it as a palette cleanser for the horrors to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Let me know!